IDA 101 Main Page
Introduces students to critically thinking from an Indigenous Yorùbá Religious philosophical orientation. Idáàṣà is the counting of the Òrìṣà, its orature is the foundation of academic subject matter for Priest and Priestess of Òrìṣà. Through recitation and analysis of Orature students will develop skills to refine one’s moral compass to train as an interdependent community leader who will resolve an array of communal problems for a diverse body of clients. Students will develop and support ideas; investigate, evaluate, and incorporate appropriate resolutions based on the stories and verses from the implicated Odù.
General Course Purpose
IDÁ 101 will prepare students for the religious vocation as Divining Priest or Priestess of the Òrìṣà. Students will identify the Odù; the proper names, order, memorize the two chants and apply philosophy indicated within each poem properly to clients; solely based on the implicated wisdom of the poems. Students will be able to investigate and articulate the 8 parts of each poem.
Goal One: Ifá Kíkí
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to memorize and chant two poems from Ọ̀kànràn, Èjì Òkò, Ògúndá, and Ìrosùn,
- They will be able to memorize and recount (ìtàn) stories from the Odù Ọ̀kànràn, Èjì Òkò, Ògúndá, and Ìrosùn,
- They will be able to chant in Yorùbá with vividness, effectiveness while understanding the English translation.
Goal Two: Ẹbọ Rírú
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to explain, describe and inform in expository writing a solution-oriented method to which Òrìṣà (religious deity) should be petitioned to and propitiated for faith-based resolve.
- Incorporate several Òrìṣà for solutions based on philosophy.
- Utilize song as means of evocation and invocation of Òrìṣà and other natural elements.
- Present items for indemnification.
Goal Three: Ìwàpẹ̀lẹ́
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to analyze and investigate ideas, theories and present them to articulate proper human behavior and moral character.
- They will be able to create theories of human behavior.
- Forecast predicted outcomes based on the choice and values.
- Guide clients to success by applying implied knowledge of moral character.
- Produce an expanded consciousness and seek means of harmony with animals, plants, and humans.