REL 101 Main Page
Course Description (Weeks 5 – 8)*
A practice-based course that furnishes the student with practical guides on pertinent aspects of Òrìṣà Religious Hierarchy, Culture, Religion, and different classes of deities, anti – deities, and natural forces. The course will include directions on how to invoke, propitiate and take care of your Òrìṣà icons. As well as survey perspective and world views of the Yorùbá.
General Course Purpose
To introduce the student to the general terminology, themes, and common experiences from the Ìṣẹ̀ṣẹ Tradition. Investigate the basic ideas to all denominations of Òrìṣà Religion.
- Understand the unique differentiation between Western Abrahamic Religions and Òrìṣạ̀ Religion.
- Religious expectations and commitment.
- Cultural mandates of Òrìṣà ethical character.
- Survey the cultural significance of Òrìṣà community and icons.
Major Topics to be Included
- The Nature of Òrìṣà Religion(s)
- The Primordial Four: Olódùmarè, Èṣù, Ọbàtálá, and Ifá
- Major Òrìṣà: Ọ̀ṣun, Òguń, Ṣàngó, Ọya
- Òrìṣà Spiritism: Orí, Ẹgbẹ́, Kórì Kóto
- Òrìṣà Religion and Egúngún (Ancestor Worship)
- Divination and Sacrifice
- Religion and Medicine
- Ìwàpẹ̀lẹ́ and Global Ethics
REL 101 classes will start in Week 5. Your YSL 101 class is a four-week class. So, REL 101, which is also a four-week class, will occupy the same time slot as your YSL 101 class.